About The Challenge
What is Road to RHC?
Road to RHC is a cycling challenge between 5 -26 August 2021. Together, we will try to cycle all 59,000km of Scotland’s roads! The event is a virtual challenge, and you can take part individually or as part of a team.
Who can take part?
Anyone can take part and join us on the Road to RHC. Whether you cycle alone, in a team with friends or colleagues, or as a family – we need everyone’s help to reach our target of 59,000km! Please get in touch to find out more about how we can help you get the most from the event, or if you have any questions.
Who else is taking part?
Many of the amazing NHS staff who work at the Royal Hospital for Children in Glasgow (RHC) are taking part, as are some of the children who are cared for at the hospital. We’re delighted to also have the support of companies who support Glasgow Children’s Hospital Charity. We’d love you to join us!
How does it work?
- Register for the event on this website;
- Join a team (if applicable);
- Link your Strava account to your JustGiving page by following the steps on this page
- Your cycling mileage will automatically be added to the total – you can also track how you’re performing against the other individuals and teams!
Is there an entry fee?
No, this event is free – we simply ask that you consider fundraising or making a donation to Glasgow Children’s Hospital Charity.
What are the prizes?
Thanks to Billy Bilsland Cycles, the person who cycles and raises the most combined will win a kids bike worth £445! Other prizes include a £200 Cyclescheme voucher, Glasgow Children’s Hospital Charity goodies and more!
Is this event taking place at the Royal Hospital for Children, Glasgow?
No, this is a virtual cycle. Your mileage will be logged through Strava
Is this safe during Covid-19?
As this is a virtual event, we ask that you take part as safely and responsibly as possible. Please comply with all national and local laws and guidance, including the specific Covid restrictions and regulations relating to your area. Please get in touch if you have any questions regarding how to participate or fundraise safely during this time.
Tracking Your Distance
How far do I have to cycle?
There is no limit on how far you can cycle. We need teams and individuals to cycle as many kilometres as they can from 5th-26th August to collectively get us as close as we can to 59,000km.
You can set your own individual or team targets, based on your own ability and size of team.
How can I cycle?
However you’d like, as long at it’s on wheels! Either outside on a bike, wheelchair, or on a static bike at home or at the gym. Bike hire is also available via companies such as Next Bike (www.nextbike.co.uk). Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions about what is suitable.
When can I cycle?
You can cycle whenever you can from 5th-26th August. As long as you log your distances on Strava, the event can work around your personal or team schedule.
Do I have to use Strava?
Strava makes it easier for you to log your activities, but you can also add them manually on your JustGiving page.
How do I log my distance on my JustGiving page?
- If you are logged into Strava on your web browser, please log out.
- Log in to the Road to RHC website then select ‘view page’. This will take you to your own fundraising page.
- At the bottom of the page, click on "edit page".
- Click "fitness".
- Click on the Strava button, then sign into Strava with your own login details
- Authorise the website to connect your fundraising page to your Strava account.
- When you log a cycle on Strava, it will now automatically appear on your JustGiving page
- You can add activities any time from 5 – 26 August.
I need help connecting my page to Strava
Please contact email@example.com and they will help.
Is there a minimum fundraising target?
While fundraising is not mandatory, we sincerely appreciate each and every donation. Please visit www.GlasgowChildrensHospitalCharity.org to find out about how your support makes a difference, or get in touch with our fundraising team by calling 0141 212 8750
Do I have to join a team or can I ride solo?
Yes you can take part as a solo rider, but we’d love for you to encourage your friends, family and colleagues to get involved to and help us reach our target!
How many people can be in a team?
Your team can have up to 10 members. You can also have multiple teams from the same company to encourage some friendly competition!
Can you help me with my fundraising?
Please get in touch with our team and we’ll be happy to help. Call 0141 212 8750 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to speak to a member of our team.
How do I set up my team’s JustGiving page?
You can either create your team during the setup of your individual page, or:
- Once you’ve made your individual page, in the bottom left of the page select the option to ‘edit page’.
- A popup should appear. Select ‘TEAM’ from the left hand column, then ‘Create Team’.
- Complete the form with your team name, team fundraising target and a short description. Include the name of your company in your team name so everyone knows who you’re cycling for!
How do I join my team’s page?
- Once you have created your individual page, in the bottom left of the page select the option to ‘edit page’
- A popup should appear. Select ‘TEAM’ from the left hand column then ‘Join Team’
- Search for your team, then join it.